Brief: Turnkey a multiplatform communications and branding program for National Golf Day (May 18, 2016) that engaged the broadest possible audience and delivered messages about golf’s economic, charitable, environmental and fitness benefits.
Summary: Beginning in May 2015, Buffalo developed and implemented a surgical plan to ensure success of the ninth annual “National Golf Day” on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. It included:
• Crafting and distributing a social media toolkit to industry leaders, golf enthusiasts, Congressional members and, primarily, non-endemic media. This included suggested social media posts about golf’s economic impact, affordability, accessibility, charitable impact and environmental sustainability.
• Updating content about National Golf Day on the WE ARE GOLF website.
• Developing a social media landing page for National Golf Day that went live in April 2015 with streaming social feeds for Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
• Designing National Golf Day themed info graphics for use in social media, PR and other platforms.
• Partnering with Topgolf for National Golf Day, which offered free five-minute lessons at its 21 U.S. locations. On May 18, they provided over 2,500 complimentary lessons across America.
• Attaining on-site talent, Caitlin Mangum, to assist Patchbay Media with interviews.
• Planning and executing the first annual National Golf Day Launch Party at Hawk ‘n’ Dove on Tuesday, May 17; over 200 attendees gathered to discuss why golf is more than a game.
• Activating at local golf courses with National Golf Day signage asking for social media support. Billy Casper Golf, Troon Golf, Honours Golf, Independence G.C. and many others posted at their facilities. The info was also distributed by the National Golf Course Owners Association, PGA of America and Golf Range Association of America.
Results: The #NGD16 social media campaign officially launched on May 1 and concluded May 31. Recipients of the social media toolkit were asked to show support via personal and professional networks.
• 52.1 million impressions generated across Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Google+, representing a 41% increase versus 2015
• 17.7 million unique Twitter and Facebook accounts reached with #NGD16 and/or @wearegolf posts
• 4 million #NGD16 impressions prior to May 18
• 4.4 million Twitter impressions during #NGD16 peak on May 18 between 3 and 4 p.m.
• 11,900 tweets with #NGD16
• Between 3 and 4 p.m. EST on May 18, #NGD16 was a global trending topic on Twitter. Messages were also syndicated with similar hashtags such as #NGD2016 and #NationalGolfDay. Supportive tweets with the highest number of impressions included Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals), Golf Channel, PGA TOUR, Oakley, Paul Ryan, Gary Player, Justin Rose, Jason Dufner, Lydia Ko and the Arizona Cardinals.